Dietary Supplements That Help You Lose Weight
Eating the right foods and exercising are the best things you can do to achieve weight loss. But for some people, a little extra boost is needed to get them to their goal. There are several types of supplements that when taken correctly, can help some people lose weight.
As with taking any medication or supplement, you should ask your doctor before introducing supplements.
- Garcinia Cambogia Extract: This pill surged in popularity after being on the Dr. Oz show, but realistically has very little effectiveness.
- Hydroxycut: Perhaps the most well-known and popular diet supplement, Hydroxycut comes in many forms and is easy to find. It does seem to help with weight loss, but oftentimes that weight can come back when you stop using the supplement.
- Caffeine: This is the most naturally consumed weight-loss supplement. Most of us don’t even realize that caffeine is a metabolism booster, which can increase your fat burning abilities.
- Raspberry Ketones: Raspberry ketones increases the breakdown of fat in the body, however their effectiveness with losing weight is undetermined.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract: Green coffee beans are simply pure beans before they are roasted. Naturally, they contain caffeine and chlorogenic acid, which can both help with weight loss.
- Glucomannan: This is a fiber found in roots. It absorbs water and basically sits in your gut, making you feel full. This leads to decreased calorie intake.
- Meratrim: This is a newcomer in the diet world. It is the combination of two plant extracts and has been shown to have some effectiveness in loosing weight.
- Green Tea Extract: This is a hugely popular weight loss supplement because of its antioxidant properties.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid: Commonly known as CLA, this is a popular supplement for fat loss because it reduces your appetite, boosts metabolism and stimulates the breakdown of fat slowly over time.
- Forskolin: There is limited data on this supplement, which is an extract from the mint family. It is believed to stimulate fat burning.
Popular Diets for Losing Weight
We bet you could name at least five or more diets off the top of your head without even trying. There are many diets for many reasons. The most obvious is to lose weight, but perhaps you’re training for an event, reducing carbs, burning fat or even (in some cases) trying to gain weight.
The right diet for you depends on your needs and lifestyle.
Here is a list of some of the most popular weight loss diets and what makes them popular.
- Paleo Diet: Mimicking the diets of cavemen, Paleo focuses on meats and includes zero grains, beans and dairy. Most studies show significant weight loss with Paleo.
- Vegan Diet: Whether for moral reasons you want to lose weight, vegans don’t use any animal products whatsoever – including dairy, meat, and honey. loosing weight is primarily due to decreased overall calorie intake.
- Vegetarian Diet: For most vegetarians, this is simply a no-meat diet/lifestyle. Protein comes from tofu, spinach, nuts, and other sources.
- Low-Carb Diet: The idea here is to simply limit your carbs and increase your protein. The popular Keto diet takes this to an extreme level by basically eliminating all carbs for a short period of time. This can be an extremely effective weight loss, especially when it’s sustainable and not extreme.
- Dukan Diet: There are four phases to the Dukan diet that basically promotes the same high protein/low carb combination in a predictable pattern that is supposed to be more sustainable. Weight loss is often the result of the high protein/low carb combination.
- Atkins Diet: This was popularized by Dr. Atkins who promoted low carb/high protein with no restriction on fats. This does lead to faster weight loss but can cause problems when used long term or in extreme cases.
- HCG Diet: This is a hormone diet that requires HCG supplements and an ultra-low-calorie diet (500 calories a day) for 3-6 weeks before increasing calories and food intake. While this diet does help you lose weight, most studies say it’s due to the calorie reduction, not the actual HCG hormone.
- Zone Diet: A zone diet recommends balancing each meal with 1/3 protein, 2/3 fruits and veg and a dash of fat while limiting carbs significantly. Weight loss studies here show pretty inconsistent results.
- Mediterranean Diet: A plant-based diet that basically mirrors standard good nutrition guidelines. The benefits are well-documented and it’s easy to follow, making it popular for many.
- Whole30 Diet: This is like Paleo on steroids. It is a food cleanse that takes you down to the bare minimum and introduces food categories again one by one to target pain points for your body.
Types of Weight Loss Programs
When it comes to weight loss programs, most people tend to fall into 1 of 4 categories: The lazy dieter, the groupie, the feeler and the really-ready-dieter.
The Lazy Dieter
These are the ones who want it done for them. They don’t have the time or the patience to decide what to eat, they just want someone to tell them exactly what to do and how to do it.
Programs for the Lazy Dieter:
- Nutrisystem: This is as easy as opening a box and eating. Frozen meals are delivered right to your door ready to go. No counting, no prep, there’s barely any cooking. Just open and eat.
- Jenny Craig: Jenny Craig is a trusted name in weight loss. This plan also includes food delivered to your door with the combination of a personal coach and a fitness program.
These are the types that want all their friends to do the same diet they are doing. They want a support system and rely on others to keep them motivated.
Programs for the Groupie:
- Weight Watchers: One of the biggest support communities in all of weight loss. It works by assigning points to every food under the sun, each individual gets a certain amount of points each day/week and you choose what to eat and track the points. There is a monthly subscription that is not necessarily required, but helpful to get accurate tracking information.
- Trendy Weight Loss: These typically include programs promoted by a variety of Instagram influencer accounts that promote healthy eating, meal plans, and sharing of your success.
This is for the person who just wants to feel better. They aren’t as concerned with the scale as they are about their mental health and wellbeing. They want to feel better about their body and their energy and are looking to enjoy life more fully.
Programs for the Feeler:
- Noom: This is a newcomer to the weight-loss world, and it incorporates more than tracking food. It introduces a psychological element to change the way you think about what you’re eating. Noom is an app that includes cognitive behavioral therapy, health coaches, food plans, etc.
- Weight Loss Coaching: In the world of life-coaches, these coaches provide a one-on-one approach for each client. They provide both psychological and meal planning support, but it usually comes at a very high cost.
The Really Ready Dieter
This group is serious about making a long-term lifestyle change. They want real results and are willing to do what it takes to get it. They aren’t interested in fads or get-skinny-quick schemes, they want real results from well-researched and documented sources.
Programs for the Really Ready Dieter
- Mayo Clinic Diet: Based in scientific medical research, the Mayo Clinic’s plan for losing weight is one of the most trusted options. It’s based on a book that starts with changing your habits, then moves into losing fat and eventually a maintenance phase.
- Medical Weight Loss: If you want to lose weight safely with the help of a medical professional, a weight loss clinic is the way to go. Medical weight loss combines the best of nutrition and psychological support along with metabolic testing, medical diagnostics and a physician-supervised plan that’s catered to your body.
This is just a small sample of the many types of weight loss programs available. Finding the type that is just right for you can be hard. Do your research, ask your doctor for advice, and listen to your body.
Benefits of Medical Weight Loss
One of the best and most effective ways to lose weight is through a medical weight loss program. It is the only system that truly works with your unique make-up to create an effective plan with the benefit of a medical team to back it up.