Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between typical signs of “old-timers” and actual symptoms of hormonal imbalance.
Signs you need hormone replacement therapy may include unexplained depression, anxiety, fatigue, hot flashes, weight gain, or bone loss.
Hormone replacement therapy can help improve the health of your mind and body for both men and women.
Before you decide that you’re just getting older and there’s nothing you can do about it, consider these signs you may benefit from HRT.
Signs Women Need Hormone Replacement Therapy
Hormone deficiency or imbalance can cause a variety of uncomfortable symptoms including excessive fatigue, low libido, and depression.
If you notice any of the following, it may be time to talk to your doctor about hormone replacement therapy.
- Menopause Symptoms – When we talk about female hormones, we think of menopause. While menopause is inevitable, the side effects don’t have to be. HRT can be beneficial during all phases of menopause.
- Perimenopause -This transitional stage may be anywhere from 2-10 years when a woman’s body is preparing to end the reproductive abilities and enter early menopause. This can cause a roller coaster effect on the hormones.
- Menopause – Menopausal syndromes are clear signs you need hormone replacement therapy. This is the last stage when the ovaries stop producing eggs and the monthly period ceases. Many symptoms that showed up in perimenopause will continue or worsen through this phase.
- Postmenopause – This is typically 1 year after your last period, at this point most menopause symptoms have stopped but hormonal imbalances have a serious impact on your health.
- Hair Loss – Hormones play a major role in your hair growth, strength, and loss. Hormone replacement therapy can play a significant role in restoring hair loss due to hormonal imbalance. If you lose hair for no reason, it’s one of the hormonal imbalance signs you need hormone replacement therapy.
- Mood Swings – Sometimes your partner or parent may seem like they just aren’t quite themselves. This may be due to hormone imbalances that can cause severe emotional mood changes, depression, anxiety, or nervousness.
- Low Libido – Hormones are directly related to your sex drive and are responsible for the performance and enjoyment of sex. An imbalance of hormones may result in erectile dysfunction, vaginal dryness, discomfort or pain during intercourse, or lack of energy.
- Insomnia – Hormones are responsible for telling your body when it’s time to settle down and go to bed. For many aging adults, insomnia due to hormonal imbalance only exacerbates other symptoms that may be present such as brain fog, anxiety, and fatigue.
Signs Men Need Testosterone Replacement Therapy
Hormone therapy is not just for women. In fact, while many men would benefit from testosterone replacement, most of these important signs often go untreated.
- Andropause – This is a natural biological process in men where testosterone levels decrease. This can cause many of the same symptoms as women experience in menopause.
- Sexual Performance Issues – One of the sure signs you need hormone replacement therapy may include low sex drive, difficulty with erection, low semen volume, or smaller testicle size.
- Hair Loss – While genetics is the main factor in male hair loss, hormones may play a part. This is especially true if you notice thinning hair and do not have a family history of baldness.
- Fatigue – If you find yourself tired all the time, despite getting plenty of sleep, it may be due to a hormone imbalance.
- Lose Muscle Mass – Lower testosterone levels will often result in a decrease in muscle mass. While men may still feel they can lift or move the way they once did, their body may not look the same.
- Increased Body Fat – Gaining more weight or gaining weight faster than usual is a common sign of low testosterone and also signs you need hormone replacement therapy.
- Decreased Bone Mass – Because testosterone helps to produce and strengthen bones, a hormone imbalance can lead to serious problems including osteoporosis (losing bone density).
- Mental Health Changes – Men who are experiencing an imbalance of testosterone may have mood swings, memory problems, brain fog, or reduced mental capacity.
- Low blood counts – Low blood counts can also be signs you need hormone replacement therapy. This can be linked to anemia and cause symptoms like dizziness, leg cramping, insomnia, and an abnormally rapid heart rate.
FAQs About Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men and Women